About Us (Spoken Tutorial)
The Spoken Tutorial project is about teaching and learning a particular FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) like Linux, Scilab, LaTeX, PHP & MySQL, Java, C/C++, LibreOffice etc. via an easy Video tool - Spoken Tutorials. Some of the salient features of SELF (Spoken Tutorial based Education and Learning through Free FOSS study) Workshops are -
- This method is highly conducive to self-learning.
- Once one gets started any student or faculty can master the FOSS.
- UG, PG or research scholar students and even teachers of Science, IT, Engineering, Commerce, Management disciplines can learn any of the FOSS.
- The training workshops are conducted remotely via a video conferencing tool, Skype.
- Typically, the first workshop at any college is of 2 hours duration.
- To start of, any college which is organising the workshop needs to get a computer lab ready with machines that support sound and have VLC player and internet. There is no lower or upper limit on the number of participants. This just depends on the number of computers available. For additional participants laptops if available can be used.
- The main organiser's computer needs a webcam via which the Spoken Tutorial team can monitor the workshop.
- On a convenient day participants take an assessment test and on clearing it get certificates from IIT Bombay.
As a first step the organiser can identify a student coordinator to publicise and conduct the workshop. Students have a lot of energy and are very enthusiastic about such activities. Participants of course benefit. Student coordinators too get a special certificate, and a T-shirt! More importantly, they develop Event management and Project coordination skills.
All of the above mean a big deal to students for their career with recruiters and at PG interviews. Today SMEs and Govt. departments are moving to Open Source Software like Linux. Students with this knowledge will have an edge in the job market. They can also become entrepreneurs and use Open Source Software in their businesses, saving money vs., if they were using Commercial Software. Net it is a win-win situation for all and the best part….all the workshops are conducted FREE of cost. We are having a very good experience with colleges across the length and breadth of India with this format. They start with one and move to cover more batches, more departments, the different FOSS....All working together to Bridge the Digital Divide in our nation.