Workshop on 17th May 2010 and 18th May 2010 on Single Board Heater System
The two days workshop was attended by about 50 faculty members of in and around the colleges of Maharashtra. The two days workshop started with an introductory note by Prof.Kannan. Prof. Kannan mentioned about the NMEICT and the projects covered under the mission.He also mentioned about Spoken tutorial, Low coast access devices with example of Single Board Heater System, Textbook project.
The next session was of Hands-on lab session for the people attending the workshop, to get a feel for a lab. A step response experiment was also performed. At the end of the session, the participants could independently pass on commands and data to the unit and collect temperature output from it using Scilab and Scicos.
Afternoon session saw the
- Introduction to spoken tutorial
- Basics of spoken tutorial, how to create, writing a script, dubbing, hands-on
- Introduction to Scilab/Scicos for data acquisition
- with hands-on, Covered Scilab scripts for serial port initialization, Embedding Scilab funtion in Scicos, using Scicos for data acquisition
- PID control experiment covered P, PI controllers with hands-on. Each participant was able to implement it on their own.
Optional hands-on session had 6 participants turn up for the post dinner session which covered basics of Scilab and Scicos Also a discussion on Control experiments was held.
The second day of the workshop, around 13 participants appeared for a half an hour test and their performance was good. The second day of the workshop even saw the overview of a Single Board Heater System.
Workshop 13th May 2010 to 16th May 2010
The Workshop on Python was attended by 35 students from various colleges in and around Maharashtra. The colleges which obliged to send their students were
- Sipna's College of Engineering and Technology, Amravati.
- P.R.M.I.T. &R college, Badnera
- Bapurao Deshmukh College of Engineering, Sewagram, Wardha.
- Badnera College of Engineering and Technology.
- Vidyavardhini College of Engineering,Vasai,Mumbai.
- SSPM College of Engineering, Kankavli, Sindhudurg.
- RMCET, Devrukh, Ratnagiri.
- BMIT, Solapur.
13th May 2010
13th May 2010, 9.20 AM started with an inspirational introductory note by Mr. Krishnakant Mane. There were students from various colleges. Mr. Krishnakant, in his introductory note explained
- The importance of Python software.
- The power of Python.
- What is Spoken Tutorial all about.
- The importance of Spoken Tutorials regarding imparting knowledge of any of the softwares.
Mr.Krishnakant Mane also invited the students attending the workshop to make Spoken Tutorial. He mentioned that it would be like a talent hunt on Spoken Tutorial. To achieve this, Mr. Krishnakant also mentioned in brief as to how to make the Spoken Tutorial and the importance of Free Open Source Software. Mr. Krishnakant Mane also finished the introductory note with a story of an old man who built a bridge a the prime of his age and people asked him as to why he built the bridge when he was that old. The old man replies that he would want other people to continue using the bridge when he would no more be there. The story was told in reference to the Free Open Source Software.
Prof. Kannan Moudgalya started the second session by thanking Mr. Krishnakant Mane for his inspirational introductory note. Prof. Kannan Moudgalya in his presentation gave a lot of important information and inputs on
Introduction to National Mission for Education through Information Communication and Technology. Prof. Moudgalya also gave a brief introduction about the outline of the Mission. He also told the students that the Mission hopes to reach out to all the schools and colleges and it is the most ambitious plan.
- Content generations and Projects undertaken by IIT Bombay.
- Minimum requirement for funding from the Government.
- Administration of the Mission
- Procedure to get the funding from the Government.
- Projects of IITB
- Thousand Teachers' Training Programmes
- Robotics Project
IITB Courses as Open Software
- Virtual Courses
- Single Board Heater System
- Remote access to DAC, micro-controller, DSP Chips
- Low cost PC
- Scilab, Python, Blender etc.
Free Courses of IITB
- How Free courses are imparted.
- The importance of Wiki.
- Open Source Hardware
- Usefulness of the available courses
- Importance of Virtual Labv
- Coming up with Single Board Heater System.
- Control through Open Source Softwares.
- Importance of COMEDI.
- Importance of Low Cost Access Device
Prof. Moudgalya also mentioned about the Open Source Software at IIT Bombay and the Importance of it too. He explained that it is dangerous to use pirated software. To avoid the dangers of the pirated softwares could lead to using Open Source Software.
Prof. Moudgalya concluded his session by telling the students how Open Source Software could be an empowerment and he also invited the students to make Spoken Tutorial.
Mr.Krishnakant mentioned again about the Importance of Spoken Tutorial and he also mentioned about the plans of Gujarat going to be Scilab literate soon.
An interesting presentation on the wiki page was done by Ms Nancy Varkey to impart the information on Spoken Tutorial portal www.spoken-tutorial.org. This session started with Ms. Nancy showing the students one of the Spokent Tutorials from the website www.spoken-tutorial.org. This was done in order to make the students understand
- the screencasting
- Enhancement of learning through Spoken Tutorial
- Importance of the Wiki Page
- Steps to write a Script and the importance of writing the script in a good way
- the Pedagogy, the meaning of Pedagogy, how all of them could be potential teachers as well as learners.
- How online material could help in learning.
Ms. Varkey also explained about Spoken Tutorial in detail.
- Spoken Tutorial is a self study material.
- Tailored solution and practical know-how
- how to teach a large audience through Spoken-Tutorial.
- How Spoken Tutorial is useful to teach the same thing for different levels of learners.
- How Spoken Tutorial is useful in teaching in more constructive way.
Ms. Varkey also told the students how to write a script for making a Spoken Tutorial. Guidelines for narrating a Spoken Tutorial and Screen casting was also mentioned by Ms. Varkey.
After all these sessions, the afternoon sessions were taken over by the FOSSEE team.
Topics covered in the afternoon sessions were.
- Basic Plotting using Python which was undertaken by Mr. Puneeth.
- Plotting experimental data was undertaken by Mr. Shantanu.
- Statistics was undertaken by Mr. Madhusudan.
14th May 2010
The second day of the workshop saw the comprehensive coverage of Scientific Computing with Python.
- Matrices undertaken by Mr. Shantanu.
- Solving Linear equations, roots of polynomials undertaken by Mr.Puneeth.
- Basics of Python(Data types, variables) undertaken by Mr. Shantanu.
- Loops, conditionals statements, Data structures undertaken by Mr. Amit and Mr. Madhusudan.
- Functions on Pythons undertaken by Mr. Madhusudan.
- Exercises on the Function of Python undertaken by Mr. Puneeth and Mr. Madhusudan and Mr. Amit.
- Introduction to Mayavi and Sage undertaken by Mr. Puneeth.
15th May 2010
On Day Three, the topics covered for the workshop were
- Object Oriented Python which gave a overview of OOP in Python including inheritance which was undertaken by Ms. Anusha Kadambala.
- Python database connectivity which described the connection of RDMS using Python dbapi which was undertaken by Mr. Krishnakant Mane.*
- SQLAlchemy which an insight of Introduction to Object relational mapping with SQLAlchemy and Advanced features of SQLAlchemy undertaken by Mr. Krishnakant Mane.
- Introduction to Pylons to web applications which gave an overview of model-view-control conducted by Mr. Krishnakant Mane.
16th May 2010
On day four and the final day, the topics covered for the workshop were
- Installation of Pylons which gave the students an over-view of pylon setup in virtual python environment conducted by Ms. Anusha Kadambala.
- Writing control logic for web application by creating controller classes for rendering templates and processing data conducted by Mr. Krishnakant Mane.
- Writing mako templates by creating views using the mako templating language with HTML and embedded python conducted by Mr. Krishnakant Mane.
- Using SQLAlchemy classes for the model by creating database objects in the web application for storing and representing data conducted by Mr. Krishnakant Mane.
- Exercises on what had been learnt and presenting it by creating a complete web application based on MVC architecture by the students.
The 4 days workshop ended by Prof. Kannan having interacted with the students who had come to attend the workshop.