- 1 About SELF Trainings
- 2 Progress To Date
- 3 Software Offered
- 4 Be a Part of the Spoken Tutorial Project
- 5 Organising Training
- 6 Sample Time Tables / Syllabus with Mapped & UnMapped Spoken Tutorial Software Courses
- 7 Summer Faculty Development and Training programs
- 8 Certificates from Spoken Tutorials, IIT Bombay
- 9 Contacts For Training (excluding Schools)
- 10 Contacts for Training exclusively for Schools
About SELF Trainings
- This distance education method is highly conducive to self-learning.
- Once one gets started any student or faculty can master the FOSS and also get certificates, Silver/Learner's and Gold (based on clearing an assessment test)
- If the participants wish to take the test they must do so a month after the Training.
All of the above mean a big deal to students for their career with recruiters and at PG interviews.
Today, SMEs and Govt. departments are moving to Open Source Software like Linux OS. Students with this knowledge will have an edge in the job market. They can also become entrepreneurs and use Open Source Software in their businesses, and save money vs., if they were using commercial software. Net - it is a win-win situation for all and the best part....all the Trainings are conducted FREE of cost. We are having a very good experience with colleges across the length and breadth of India with this format. They start with one and move to cover more batches, more departments, different FOSS series....All working together to Bridge the Digital Divide in our nation.
Click here Information on training ppt
Click here E-Brochure
Click here FOSS Categories
Click here Matching spoken-tutorial
Progress To Date
The trainings started in July 2011. These have spread across several Institutions- Degree colleges, Polytechnics, ITIs and even Schools, NGOs, Govt. Offices and some Corporates. To date, around 900,000 students and teachers from all states of India, have taken this Software training. Students from rural places have also benefited from this training. Students are using Linux, Python, PHP & MySQL, C/C++, Java and Scilab in their curriculum. Several colleges are going for Lab Migration, which is switching from Matlab (proprietary) to Scilab. Academia is using LaTeX the de facto standard for technical writing. We have dedicated colleges acting as RESOURCE centers in all states of India.
Spoken Tutorial Software Series
|1||Basic IT Skills package||Learn how to use
This package is useful to all who wish to learn basic IT skills. Absolute must for beginners.
|2||Ascend|| ASCEND is a free, open source, mathematical modelling system.
|3||BASH|| Bash is a "Unix shell" command-line interface for interacting with the operating system. Bash has the ability to run an entire script of commands, known as a "Bash Shell script" or "Shell script".
|5||C and C++|
|6||Advanced C||For Advanced C series, learner should necessarily go through C and C++ series beforehand.|
|7||Advanced C++||For Advanced C++ series, learner should necessarily go through C and C++ series beforehand.|
|9||GChemPaint|| GChemPaint allows you to draw and display 2D chemical structures. This application is useful for school students (9th standard and above) as well as school teachers. Very useful to teach and learn abstract chemistry concepts.
|13||Java and Netbeans||Learn to use Java
|14||Java Business Application|| Learn how to create a business application from scratch.
|15||Jmol Application|| Learn how to create 3D chemical, crystal and biomolecules structures.
|16||KTurtle|| An educational programming environment which helps in learning how to build logic and how to program, in an easy manner. Some of its features are: intuitive syntax highlighting, simple error messages, integrated canvas to make drawings on, integrated help function, slow-motion or step execution, and more.
|17||LaTeX & XFig|| LaTeX is a typesetting software for preparing reports, letters and presentations - specially useful for persons engaged in writing/ publishing documents from science/ arts/ commerce fields.
|19|| Linux & Ubuntu
|Free operating system, almost neutral to virus attacks and no hassles for licensing issues.|
|20||OpenFOAM|| Open source/ free CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) software available for solving and analyzing problems and to create a real world fluid flow movie. Open source equivalent to FLUENT. Widely used in Academics and is gaining popularity in Industry as well- Companies including AUDI, Tata Steel, Volkswagen, and Govt. agencies like BARC (Babha Atomic Research Center).
|21||Oscad- now eSIM|
|23||PHP & MySQL|
|25||QCAD|| QCAD is a free, open source application for computer aided drafting (CAD) in two dimensions (2D).
|29||TuxTyping|| Typing application especially for children |
Start typing, Practice lessons, Play a typing game, Set a language for typing
|30||K3B||Learn to burn audio/video/data CDs/DVDs using K3B|
|Screen-reading software for the Visually Impaired|
Upcoming Spoken Tutorial series are Joomla, Bio-Python
Be a Part of the Spoken Tutorial Project
- SELF Training Organiser
- SELF Training RESOURCE Center
- SELF Training Partner
1. SELF Training Organiser:-
2. SELF Training RESOURCE Center
3. SELF Training Partner
Organising Spoken Tutorial Training at your Institution is very easy!
Role of the Faculty Coordinator
- Inform us of your interest over mail or phone and we will register the college in our website.
- As a necessary step please study the Training Flow in detail that explains the step by step procedure of how to conduct the Training, Workshops and arrange the tests.
- Click here for Training Flow.
- To register as a Faculty Coordinator you need to create an account and assign yourself a Username and Password.
- Once registration is done, FC has to click on Software training and go in Training Dashboard.
- Faculty Coordinator will upload a Master Batch consisting of all students in that department and year in .csv file
- Click here for Instructions to upload the Master Batch Student List
- Faculty Coordinator will Select Participant List from the Master Batch to create a list.
- Download the Spoken Tutorial content available on the link (http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/create_cd_content).
- Click here for Instructions for Downloading the Tutorials
- The Faculty Coordinator will check that the machines have Firefox web browser and support sound.
- Click here for the Machine Readiness document.
- After the workshop, learners can copy the content onto their Pen-drives or CDs or laptops.
- Make a test request on our website and we will confirm it for you. Detailed but easy instruction sheets provided. You will need to identify an invigilator before the test request.
- Click here for Test Request.
- The invigilator will go through the registration process before the test and will monitor the test and attendance of the participants.
- Click here for Instructions for Invigilator.
- Your request will be confirmed and all the participants can take the test by following the simple instructions
- Click here for Test Instruction for Participants.
Downloading Spoken Tutorials
For installation and making copies on all the computers, please follow these easy steps -
Instructions for Downloading and Installing
- Click on http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/create_cd_content.
- After selecting the software and language Click on Add.
- You can select more than one software as well to download by repeating Step 3 and 4.
- Once the above steps are done Click on Submit.
- Extract the content from the zip file into a folder.
- Open the folder. Locate the read-me-first.txt file. Open it and read it carefully.
- Take enough print-outs of the Instruction sheets – one for each participant.
- Copy the extracted folder on each computer before the workshop.
Instructions for Training in Offline Mode
- Hand out one Instruction sheet to each participant, before the training.
- To do so, right-click on index.html and choose Open with Firefox option.
- Now, follow the instructions given in the Instruction Sheet and begin learning.
Instructions for installing LINUX OS
Click here for instructions on Installation of LINUX OS
Sample Time Tables / Syllabus with Mapped & UnMapped Spoken Tutorial Software Courses
Click on the following link for Time Table
Summer Faculty Development and Training programs
- Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay Certificates will be issued to all the faculty members who take part in the Spoken Tutorial FDP.
- Guidance is provided by the team at IIT Bombay.
Process and useful links: First the organizers create a login ID and then can access all the needed forms like requesting for training. and if you're are already registered as "Organizer" then requesting for FDP is just a click away.
Registration Link: http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/user/register
To request Software training workshop - http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/8/89/Workshop-Request-Sheet.pdf
To get the lab ready - http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/5/58/Machine-Readiness.pdf
Please contact your respective state manager in case of any query.
Certificates from Spoken Tutorials, IIT Bombay
- Received on completing Training only for software which do not have Online Test.
- Received on completing Online Assessment Test.
Please Note Online tests will NOT be available for the following software series -
- Advance C
- Advance C++
- Java Business Application
- Tux Typing
Please Note Offline tests are available for the following:
School-related software series
- Basic IT Skills i.e. LibreOffice Suite (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw)
Desktop Publishing software series
Contacts For Training (excluding Schools)
|No.||Name of States||Contact Person||Email Address||Phone|
|1||West Bengal, Mizoram||Trupti Moreemail@example.com||+919820096122|
|West Bengal||Rupasha Royfirstname.lastname@example.org||+917045330569|
|2||Gujarat, Jammu & Kashmir||Madhukriti Srivastavaemail@example.com||+917738378229|
|3||Tamil Nadu, Telangana||Mohamed Kasim Khanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+919003707005|
|Tamil Nadu||Swapnali Kadamemail@example.com||+919702744000|
|Telangana - Outreach||Kiran Babufirstname.lastname@example.org||+918686144266|
|7||Andhra Pradesh, Puducherry||Preeti Naiduemail@example.com||+919987884115|
|9||Bihar, Jharkhand||Sharda Sharmafirstname.lastname@example.org||+919892721022|
|11||Rajasthan, Nagaland, Manipur, Odisha||Swati Dongardiveemail@example.com||+918693020666|
|12||Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Uttarakhand||Akanksha Sainifirstname.lastname@example.org||+919757052310|
|16||Uttar Pradesh||Neha Srivastavaemail@example.com||+919910896727|
|17||Madhya Pradesh||Priyanka Shrofffirstname.lastname@example.org||+919713759405|
|19||Goa, Chhattisgarh||Prerana Mhatreemail@example.com||+919769788516|
|20||Himachal Pradesh||Anita Kedarefirstname.lastname@example.org||+919321530562|
Contacts for Training exclusively for Schools
|No.||Designation||Contact Person||Email Address||Phone|
National Training Coordinator for Schools
Training Managers for sessions using English language
| Madhulika Goyal
Training Coordinators for sessions using Indian languages
| Devendra Kairwan