Difference between revisions of "Software-Training"
(→Contacts For Training)
|Line 367:||Line 367:|
<span style="color:red">'''Click on the following links for Training Calendars'''
<span style="color:red">'''Click on the following links for Training Calendars'''
</span style="color:blue"> '''[http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/f/fb/Sample_st_training_calendar.pdf TRAINING CALENDAR : ENGINEERING &
</span style="color:blue"> '''[http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/f/fb/Sample_st_training_calendar.pdf TRAINING CALENDAR : ENGINEERING & ]'''
</span style="color:blue"> '''[http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/0/03/ABES_Engg_Clg.pdf Example: Filled sample Training Calendar]'''
</span style="color:blue"> '''[http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/0/03/ABES_Engg_Clg.pdf Example: Filled sample Training Calendar]'''
Revision as of 14:57, 13 January 2015
- 1 About SELF Trainings
- 2 Progress To Date
- 3 Software Offered
- 4 Be a Part of the Spoken Tutorial Project
- 5 Organising Training
- 6 Summer Faculty Development and Training programs
- 7 Certificates from Spoken Tutorials, IIT Bombay
- 8 Contacts For Training
About SELF Trainings
The Spoken Tutorial Project is about teaching and learning a particular FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) like Linux, Scilab, LaTeX, PHP & MySQL, Java, C/C++, LibreOffice etc. via an easy Video tool - Spoken Tutorials. Some of the salient features of SELF (Spoken Tutorial based Education and Learning through Free FOSS study) Workshops are as follows.
- This distance education method is highly conducive to self-learning.
- Once one gets started any student or faculty can master the FOSS and also get certificates, Silver/Learner's and Gold (based on clearing an assessment test)
- UG, PG or Research scholar students and even teachers of Science, IT, Engineering, Commerce, Management, MCA disciplines can learn any of the FOSS.
- Typically, the first Training at any college is of 2 hours duration. Timing is per the group's convenience.
- To start of, any college which is organising the Training needs to get a computer lab ready with machines that support sound. There is no lower or upper limit on the number of participants. This just depends on the number of computers available. For additional participants, laptops if available can be used.
- Support from IIT Bombay is available over Skype, in such cases the main organiser's computer should have a webcam via which the Spoken Tutorial team can monitor the Training and answer questions.
- If the participants wish to take the test they must do so a month after the Training.
As a first step, the organiser typically a faculty member must register on the Spoken Tutorial site and become authorised to request and conduct training in his/her college. The organiser can also identify student volunteers to publicise and help with the Training. Students have a lot of energy and are very enthusiastic about such activities. Student volunteers get a special certificate, and a T-shirt! They also develop Event management and Project coordination skills. .
All of the above mean a big deal to students for their career with recruiters and at PG interviews.
Today, SMEs and Govt. departments are moving to Open Source Software like Linux OS. Students with this knowledge will have an edge in the job market. They can also become entrepreneurs and use Open Source Software in their businesses, and save money vs., if they were using commercial software. Net - it is a win-win situation for all and the best part....all the Trainings are conducted FREE of cost. We are having a very good experience with colleges across the length and breadth of India with this format. They start with one and move to cover more batches, more departments, different FOSS series....All working together to Bridge the Digital Divide in our nation.
See the Documents given below to know about all the courses we offer and how easy it is to avail of this training and also get an idea on all the wonderful benefits to students.
Click here Information on training ppt
See the pdf given below for information on which Spoken-tutorial software is suited for which department.
Click here E-Brochure
See the pdf given below for information on which FOSS would be relevant for which course using Spoken-tutorial.
Click here Matching spoken-tutorial
Progress To Date
The trainings started in July 2011. These have spread across several Institutions- Degree colleges, Polytechnics, ITIs and even Schools, NGOs, Govt. Offices and some Corporates. To date, end 2014, around 500,000 students and teachers from all states of India, have taken this Software training. Students from rural places have also benefited from this training. Students are using Linux, Python, PHP & MySQL, C/C++, Java and Scilab in their curriculum. Several colleges are going for Lab Migration, which is switching from Matlab (proprietary) to Scilab. Academia is using LaTeX the de facto standard for technical writing. We have dedicated students who are working as workshop volunteers and colleges acting as RESOURCE centers in all states of India.
Currently Spoken Tutorial project offers software training on the below mentioned list of software, applications and programming languages.
Spoken Tutorial Software Series
|1||Basic IT Skills package||Learn how to use
This package is useful to all who wish to learn basic IT skills. Absolute must for beginners.
|2||Ascend|| ASCEND is a free, open source, mathematical modelling system.
|3||BASH|| Bash is a "Unix shell" command-line interface for interacting with the operating system. Bash has the ability to run an entire script of commands, known as a "Bash Shell script" or "Shell script".
|4||Blender||Open source equivalent to Maya and 3DMax. Useful to create 3D Animation for Architecture & Animation students. Can be used by Civil Engineering students, also.|
|5||C and C++||Powerful features, simple syntax, and portability make C a preferred language among programmers, for business and industrial applications. Widely used in the development of operating systems.|
|6||Advanced C||For Advanced C series, learner should necessarily go through C and C++ series beforehand.|
|7||Advanced C++||For Advanced C++ series, learner should necessarily go through C and C++ series beforehand.|
|8||Firefox||Free, open source and popular web browser. Allows you to view Internet web pages, navigate through web pages, and search for web pages using search engines such as Google, Yahoo Search or Bing.|
|9||GChemPaint|| GChemPaint allows you to draw and display 2D chemical structures. This application is useful for school students (9th standard and above) as well as school teachers. Very useful to teach and learn abstract chemistry concepts.
|10||GeoGebra||Interactive Geometry, Algebra and Calculus application for school students (7th standard and above) as well as school teachers. Very useful to teach and learn abstract geometry concepts.|
|11||GIMP||Graphics art and design software application for the editing and creation of original images, icons, graphical elements of web pages and art for user interface elements. Useful for all graphic related work. Open source equivalent of Photoshop.|
|12||Inkscape||Graphics art and design software application for the editing and creation of original images, icons, graphical elements of web pages and art for user interface elements. Useful for all graphic related work. Open source equivalent of CorelDraw and Illustrator.|
|13||Java and Netbeans||Learn to use Java
|14||Java Business Application|| Learn how to create a business application from scratch.
For Java Business Application series, learner should necessarily go through Java and Netbeans series beforehand.
|15||Jmol Application|| Learn how to create 3D chemical, crystal and biomolecules structures.
This application is useful for school students (9th standard upto Post Graduation level) as well as school teachers. Very useful to teach and learn abstract chemistry concepts.
|16||KTurtle|| An educational programming environment which helps in learning how to build logic and how to program, in an easy manner. Some of its features are: intuitive syntax highlighting, simple error messages, integrated canvas to make drawings on, integrated help function, slow-motion or step execution, and more.
|17||LaTeX & XFig|| LaTeX is a typesetting software for preparing reports, letters and presentations - specially useful for persons engaged in writing/ publishing documents from science/ arts/ commerce fields.
Xfig is a free and open source vector graphics editor. In Xfig, figures may be drawn using objects such as circles, boxes, lines, spline curves, text, etc. ... and used in LaTeX and other documents.
|18||LibreOffice Suite||Trains in basic computer usage skills like Word processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation using the LibreOffice components Writer, Calc and Impress. One can also learn other useful components like Draw, Math and Base in this series.|
|19|| Linux & Ubuntu
|Free operating system, almost neutral to virus attacks and no hassles for licensing issues.|
|20||OpenFOAM|| Open source/ free CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) software available for solving and analyzing problems and to create a real world fluid flow movie. Open source equivalent to FLUENT. Widely used in Academics and is gaining popularity in Industry as well- Companies including AUDI, Tata Steel, Volkswagen, and Govt. agencies like BARC (Babha Atomic Research Center).
|21||Oscad- now FreeEDA||Open Source EDA tool for circuit design, simulation, analysis and PCB design. It is an integrated tool built using open source software such as KiCad, Ngspice and Scilab.|
|22||Perl||Practical Extraction and Reporting Language commonly known as PERL is a high level, general purpose and dynamic programming language. PERL has been used in graphics, web and network programming etc and you can find it's footprints in finance and bioinformatics domain, too.|
|23||PHP & MySQL||Package for developing interactive websites and establishing back-end connectivity with a database - Famous websites using PHP include Facebook, Google, and Wikipedia.|
|24||Python||Numerical computational software for Science and Engineering Education - used in 3D animation and Gaming industry, Artificial Intelligence, YouTube, NASA, CERN, Yahoo and so on.|
|25||QCAD|| QCAD is a free, open source application for computer aided drafting (CAD) in two dimensions (2D).
Learn to create technical drawings such as plans for buildings, interiors, mechanical parts or schematics and diagrams using QCAD.
|26||Scilab||Mathematical and scientific calculation software, open source substitute for MATLAB, very useful for all science and engineering students, in academics particularly.|
|27||Ruby||Dynamic, open source, general-purpose, interpreted, true object-oriented programming language. It is a server-side scripting language similar to Python and PERL. Large programs written in Ruby are easily maintainable. It can be easily connected to DB2, MySQL, Oracle, and Sybase.|
|28||KTouch||Typing tutor - teaches how to type using an online interactive keyboard. Learn typing at your own pace. Gradually increase your typing speed and along with it, your accuracy.|
|29||TuxTyping|| Typing application especially for children |
Start typing, Practice lessons, Play a typing game, Set a language for typing
|30||K3B||Learn to burn audio/video/data CDs/DVDs using K3B|
|31||Thunderbird||Learn to configure and use Thunderbird, a free email application that's easy to set-up and customize.|
|Screen-reading software for the Visually Impaired|
|32||Orca||Orca helps a visually-impaired person to navigate and use a PC/laptop for his/her day-to-day activities on their own without aided help.|
Upcoming Spoken Tutorial series are Joomla, Bio-Python
Be a Part of the Spoken Tutorial Project
The Spoken Tutorial Project-IIT Bombay, welcomes one and all to be part of an IT revolution and contribute to spread awareness amongst students, teachers and other individuals of society. You can contribute as a -
- SELF Training Organiser
- SELF Training RESOURCE Center
- SELF Training Partner
1. SELF Training Organiser:-
Any Staff/Officer/Faculty member can be an organiser. They make the first contact with the Spoken Tutorial team, IIT Bombay. Later it is important that a Faculty member/Staff/Officer/Teacher become in charge of organising the training workshops. As mentioned Organisers need not know the Software to be taught in the Training / Workshop. The Organiser will arrange the computer lab and coordinate with students, say 20-30, could be more, and fix a date and timing for the first workshop. He/She will take care of all the prerequisites as per the checklist, for successful conduction of the Training / Workshops. He/She will be in touch with the Spoken Tutorial team, IIT Bombay, on a regular basis to ensure that the training is successfully completed. It is mandated for almost all students in the college to get a chance to take the training. For this, the Organiser should identify Faculty from other departments to register and start requesting training sessions / workshops. Towards this he/she can involve the Principal or Director if necessary. The Organiser should also make a calendar or a time-table to arrange more batches in his own department.
2. SELF Training RESOURCE Center
Any College / University which wishes to contribute towards IT literacy and awareness can become a RESOURCE (Robust Extensions for Spoken Tutorial project on Open Source Software Usage for Recruitment, Community and Education) Center. A RESOURCE Center can conduct remote SELF workshops in its college, for other colleges and can also train other colleges and schools in conducting Spoken Tutorial SELF workshops. It can identify SELF Workshop Organisers in Polytechnic, ITI and degree colleges, in and around its district. A RESOURCE Center can create a team of students and faculty members who will work on In this way, the project can be spread and awareness created in the entire state. Additionally it is expected that the RESOURCE Center will train all its students as well incorporate the Software courses in the curriculum where relevant.
A RESOURCE Center will be awarded an Appreciation Letter from Spoken Tutorial project, IIT Bombay. RESOURCE Centers can mention that they are authorised RESOURCE Centers of Spoken Tutorial project, IIT Bombay on their website and in their advertisements.
3. SELF Training Partner
These are universities and government bodies at state level such as DTE, CET, DET, DHE, VIT, DCE an so on. At their level and because they have a large circle of influence, such bodied can spread Spoken Tutorial based software training in a big way by Awareness - Circulars, Enabling - arranging training and appointing officers at regional/ zonal level, Monitoring - continuously motivating and urging the colleges to come forward and do the SELF Training / Workshops on their campuses.
- A Training is a software session which is conducted as a part of the Lab hours alongside a course present in the syllabus or which has relevance to the course taught.
Organising Spoken Tutorial Training at your Institution is very easy!
You can start with any of the software course that we offer- Basic IT Skills, Blender, Linux, C, C++, Java, Python, Ruby, PERL, LibreOffice Suite, LATeX, PHP and MySQL, ORCA, Oscad, Thunderbird, Firefox, GeoGebra, GIMP, GSChem Paint, etc.
Role of the Organiser
- Inform us of your interest over mail or phone and we will register the college in our website.
- As a necessary step please study the Training Flow in detail that explains the step by step procedure of how to conduct the Training, Workshops and arrange the tests.
- Click here for Training Flow.
- To register as an organiser you need to create an account and assign yourself a Username and Password.
- Click here for the Instructions on Instructions To Create a new Account and Register as an Organiser in the Spoken-Tutorial Website.
- The Training Manager at the Spoken Tutorial team, IIT Bombay, will authenticate you as an "Organiser".
- Arrange the computer lab and a batch of students for the Training / Workshop - there is no upper limit on the total number.
- Fix a date for initiating and conducting the Training at your campus, anytime – Monday - Friday and inform us.
- Download the Spoken Tutorial content available on the link (http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/create_cd_content). Note that in special cases, where Internet is not available, we can also provide the CDs containing the same learning material.
- Click here for Instructions for Downloading the Tutorials
- Make a Training request on our website, we will confirm it for you.
- Click here for Training Request Sheet
- While requesting for a new Training, please make sure that you upload the Participant Name list. (Note: The Participant list should have been uploaded before the date of Training. Only after the Organizer uploads the attendance the Training Manager can approve your request.
- Click here for Instruction to Upload the Participant List.
- Get a Skype ID and connect to us prior to the workshop to test Skype, clarify doubts and say hello. Google Skype and install it in your system, create ID just like you would do for Gmail and let us know. .
- Get the software and course content installed on all computers using the “Instructions for Installation” (This is provided in the CD/ web-link).
- Ensure earphones and sufficient number of hard copies of "Instruction sheets" are kept ready for all the participants.
- The Organiser will check that the machines have Firefox web browser and support sound.
- Click here for the Machine Readiness document.
- Arrange one machine - could be a laptop - to have a webcam, the workshop Organiser will use this to connect with us through Skype (Only during the conductance of the first workshop).
- Participants will use the earphones and watch the tutorials individually. They will play-pause-practice and self-learn at their own pace, using side by side method.
- After the workshop, learners can copy the content onto their Pen-drives or CDs or laptops.
- After Completing a Training the Organizer has to close the same.
- , Click here for Instruction to close the Training..
- Any time after 4 weeks and preferably within a month or so after the Training, the group can come for the online assessment test and get Spoken Tutorial project, IIT BOMBAY 'Completion Certificates
- Make a test request on our website and we will confirm it for you. Detailed but easy instruction sheets provided. You will need to identify an invigilator before the test request.
- Click here for Test Request.
- The invigilator will go through the registration process before the test and will monitor the test and attendance of the participants.
- Click here for Instructions for Invigilator.
- Your request will be confirmed and all the participants can take the test by following the simple instructions
- Click here for Test Instruction for Participants.
- For training the entire college, the chief Organizer can put together a team of representatives from other departments who can train many more students.
Downloading Spoken Tutorials
One can easily download the above mentioned software, tutorials and instruction sheets from the following link -
For installation and making copies on all the computers, please follow these easy steps -
Instructions for Downloading and Installing
- Click on http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/create_cd_content.
- Click on the FOSS category, Please select the Software to download which you have selected for conducting workshop. Select the language. You can select multiple languages by pressing CTRL+Click.
- After selecting the software and language Click on Add.
- You will see a small table which will specify the software name and language you have selected to download.
- You can select more than one software as well to download by repeating Step 3 and 4.
- Once the above steps are done Click on Submit.
- This will prompt a window to open/save the zip file. Please save the zip file onto a pendrive. This can be used to install the course in all the systems. OR you can copy the zip folder content in CDs/DVD and use it for distribution or demonstration purposes.
- Extract the content from the zip file into a folder.
- Open the folder. Locate the read-me-first.txt file. Open it and read it carefully.
- Follow the instructions given inside to locate the Installation and Instruction sheets. Do as directed in the Installation sheets to install the software in all the computers.
- Take enough print-outs of the Instruction sheets – one for each participant.
- Copy the extracted folder on each computer before the workshop.
Instructions for Training
- Hand out one Instruction sheet to each participant, before the workshop.
- To begin the workshop, the participants have to open index.html file, which is present in the extracted folder.
- To do so, right-click on index.html and choose Open with Firefox option.
- Now, follow the instructions given in the Instruction Sheet and begin learning.
- We recommend that participants should follow the sequence of topics given in the index.html file for better learning.
Instructions for installing LINUX OS
Click here for instructions on Installation of LINUX OS
All departments please fill out the Training Calendar covering all the batches of students, semester-wise.
Click on the following links for Training Calendars
Summer Faculty Development and Training programs
We are very eager to work together. The scope is limitless......many departments doing many workshops, the relevant Spoken Tutorials being recommended within the curriculum, exciting summer Faculty and PG learning programs on LaTeX & Scilab. And even Linux and Libre Office for all the Admin. staff.
So just make plans and we will be with you every step of the way......a few Faculty and Officers who will act as organizers/ coordinators can fix a 2 hour workshop date on any Software and make a request on our website for the same. That's the way to get started. ( Click here E-Brochure )
- Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay Certificates will be issued to all the faculty members who take part in the Spoken Tutorial FDP.
- Guidance is provided by the team at IIT Bombay.
Process and useful links: First the organizers create a login ID and then can access all the needed forms like requesting for workshops. and if you're are already registered as "Organizer" then requesting for FDP/workshop is just a click away.
Registration Link: http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/user/register
To request Software training workshop - http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/8/89/Workshop-Request-Sheet.pdf
To download the course tutorials- http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/1/1b/Download-Tutorials.pdf
To get the lab ready - http://process.spoken-tutorial.org/images/5/58/Machine-Readiness.pdf
Please contact your respective state manager in case of any query.
Certificates from Spoken Tutorials, IIT Bombay
- Received on completeing Training.
- Received on completeing Online Assestment Test.
Please Note Online tests will NOT be available for the following software series -
- Basic IT Skills
- Java Business Application
- LibreOffice Suite (all components)
- Tux Typing
Contacts For Training
In case of any doubts or queries you can always get in touch with our Executive Officers / Training Managers-
|No.||Name of States||Contact Person||Email Address||Phone|
|1||Goa, West Bengal, Mizoram||Trupti Morefirstname.lastname@example.org||+919820096122|
|2||Gujarat, Jammu & Kashmir, Tripura, Meghalaya||Madhukriti Srivastavaemail@example.com||+917738378229|
|3||Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Puducherry, TN - ITIs||Mohamed Kasim Khanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+919003707005 ; +919004770033|
|4||Kerala and All India Schools||Swapnil Moreemail@example.com||+919833901538|
|5||Tamil Nadu||Pallavi Nilefirstname.lastname@example.org||+919892705501|
|Tamil Nadu||Swapnali Kadamemail@example.com||+919702744000|
|8||Bihar, Jharkhand||Sharda Sharmafirstname.lastname@example.org||+919892721022|
|9||New Delhi, Haryana||Kusum Lata Vermaemail@example.com||+919769576123|
|10||Kerala||Meera Vasudevanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91 91940023825|
|12||Rajasthan, Nagaland, Manipur||Swati Dongardiveemail@example.com||+918693020666|
|13||Assam, Uttarakhand||Akanksha Sainifirstname.lastname@example.org||+919757052310 +919769288893|
|15||Uttar Pradesh||Anita Zalaemail@example.com||+919321530562|
|16||Madhya Pradesh||Priyanka Shrofffirstname.lastname@example.org||+919987253717|
|17||Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh||Jessie Velusamyemail@example.com
|18||National Co-ordinator||Shyama Iyerfirstname.lastname@example.org||+919702545816|