Difference between revisions of "Software-Training"
|Line 59:||Line 59:|
Revision as of 16:22, 4 January 2013
About Us (Spoken Tutorial)
The Spoken Tutorial project is about teaching and learning a particular FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) like Linux, Scilab, LaTeX, PHP & MySQL, Java, C/C++, LibreOffice etc. via an easy Video tool - Spoken Tutorials. Some of the salient features of SELF (Spoken Tutorial based Education and Learning through Free FOSS study) Workshops are -
- This method is highly conducive to self-learning.
- Once one gets started any student or faculty can master the FOSS.
- UG, PG or research scholar students and even teachers of Science, IT, Engineering, Commerce, Management disciplines can learn any of the FOSS.
- The training workshops are conducted remotely via a video conferencing tool, Skype.
- Typically, the first workshop at any college is of 2 hours duration.
- To start of, any college which is organising the workshop needs to get a computer lab ready with machines that support sound and have VLC player and internet. There is no lower or upper limit on the number of participants. This just depends on the number of computers available. For additional participants laptops if available can be used.
- The main organiser's computer needs a webcam via which the Spoken Tutorial team can monitor the workshop.
- On a convenient day participants take an assessment test and on clearing it get certificates from IIT Bombay.
As a first step the organiser can identify a student coordinator to publicise and conduct the workshop. Students have a lot of energy and are very enthusiastic about such activities. Participants of course benefit. Student coordinators too get a special certificate, and a T-shirt! More importantly, they develop Event management and Project coordination skills.
All of the above mean a big deal to students for their career with recruiters and at PG interviews.
Today SMEs and Govt. departments are moving to Open Source Software like Linux. Students with this knowledge will have an edge in the job market. They can also become entrepreneurs and use Open Source Software in their businesses, saving money vs., if they were using Commercial Software.
Net it is a win-win situation for all and the best part….all the workshops are conducted FREE of cost. We are having a very good experience with colleges across the length and breadth of India with this format. They start with one and move to cover more batches, more departments, the different FOSS....All working together to Bridge the Digital Divide in our nation.
Progress To Date
The training workshops started in July 2011. These have spread across several Institutions, Schools, NGOs, Govt. Offices and even some Corporates. By 3rd quarter 2012, around 100,000 students and teachers from all states of India have enjoyed the training conducted in over 1500 colleges. Students from rural places have also benefited from this training. Students are using Linux, Python, PHP & MySQL and Scilab in their curriculum. Several colleges are going for Lab Migration, which is switching from Matlab (proprietary) to Scilab. Academia is using the de facto standard for technical writing, LaTeX. We have dedicated students who are working as workshop Promoters and colleges acting as RESOURCE centers in all states of India.
Method Of Training
Spoken Tutorial adopts a very unique and different method of training, which can be easily learned by school students, college students, faculty members and teachers. Key points highlighting the method of training are -
- Workshop duration is only 2 hours Can cover maximum students in a short period
- Held at your college campus Students need not to leave their campus
- Mode of training is through a very interesting and effective Audio-Video tool: 'Spoken Tutorial’.
- Workshops will be arranged by Students/ Faculty from your college- Guided by Spoken Tutorial team, IIT Bombay.
- Organizers need not be experts in Software.
- Spoken Tutorial, IIT Bombay team will monitor the first workshop through Skype.
- Spoken Tutorial, IIT Bombay team will conduct online exams and award certificates to participants and organisers.
Currently Spoken Tutorial project provide software trainings on below mentioned list of software and programming languages.
- PHP & MySQL
- C/ C++
Downloading Spoken Tutorials
One can easily download the above mentioned software, tutorials and instruction sheets from the FTP link, which is http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/disc-source. To get more detail about Software and Tutorials, download from FTP server. For installation and copying onto CDs, please follow these easy steps -
- Click on the following link - http://www.spoken-tutorial.org/disc-source/
- You will see zip files of all the FOSS on the following link.
- Click on the FOSS category you have selected for conducting the workshop or to learn on your own.
- As you click on the FOSS category, a small window will appear to open/save the zip file.
- Please save the zip file in all the computers or you can burn the zip folder content in CDs/DVDs and keep for future use.
- Extract the content from the zip file into a folder.
- Open the folder.
- Locate the read-me-first.txt file.
- Open it and read it carefully.
- Follow the instructions given inside to locate the Installation and Instruction sheets.
- Proceed as directed in the Installation sheets to install the FOSS in all the computers.
- Take printouts of the Instruction sheets – one for each participant.
- Copy the extracted folder on each computer before the workshop.
- Hand out one Instruction sheet to each participant before the workshop.
- To begin the workshop, the participants have to open index.html file present in the extracted folder.
- Index.html file will be Open only by Firefox browser.
- We recommend participants to follow the sequence of topics given in the index.html file for better learning